Background

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gideon Michael Wang's Birth Story



On June 18th at 3:00am, I woke up to my water breaking. I had been having inconsistent contractions for about two weeks, but I hadn’t had any contractions before my water broke. I knew, based on my Bradley Method classes that my labor was probably going to be more painful without the cushion of water. I also knew that my child and myself were at risk of getting an infection without the protection of my amniotic fluid. My fluid was clear, so I knew that the baby was ok.

Michael called our midwife to tell her that my water had broke. The midwife told us that the hospital likes to see women within five hours of their water breaking, but included that she would not come get me if I wasn’t there within five hours. I knew that I needed to stay home and try to get labor going before getting to the hospital. 

Michael and I tried to rest, but I was anxious about trying to naturally induce some contractions. I did many of the Bradley exercises and I began to have contractions every 7 minutes. I continued to drink a lot of water and ate healthy, energizing food. When the sun came up Michael and I decided to do some stair exercises and walk. My contractions did begin to pick up to about every five minutes. 

I continued the day exercising, resting, eating and drinking. My contractions were coming about every 4 minutes. At around 3:30pm the midwife called and said that she did think I needed to make my way to the hospital. It had been 12 hours since my water had broken, and my contractions did seem to be picking up, so we decided to go to the hospital.

At the hospital I was disheartened to find out that I was only a centimeter dilated and my contractions slowed down to about 7 minutes apart. Michael and my midwife were very encouraging in telling me that most women’s contractions do slow down when making the trip to the hospital. My midwife expressed her concern of infection and told me some options for helping my dilation progress. One option was a balloon contraption (I don’t know what it is actually called) that would be placed in my cervix to open it up. The other option was to use pitocin to increase my contractions which in turn should open my cervix. Pitocin for me was like an evil word. I knew how pitocin interferes with a woman’s natural hormone process during labor. We all decided that we would wait until 9:00pm to see how far along dilated I was. 

I was supposed to labor and deliver in the Alternative Birthing Center at the hospital, but because of the risk of infection I was put in a labor and delivery room that was equipped for water births. 

I continued working hard from 4:00pm until 9:00pm to naturally induce contractions, but they were still very inconsistent. I used clary sage essential oil, figure 8s with my hips, sideways lunges on the step of the tub and everything else that we could think of to bring on the contractions. 

At 9:00pm we all agreed that my cervix needed to be checked. I was still only 1 centimeter dilated. It had been 18 hours since my water had broken, and I was still only 1 centimeter dilated. I was heartbroken. At this point two of the midwives from Woman to Woman Midwifery were there encouraging me, informing me of all my options and standing firm in letting me make the decisions. One midwife even said, “I will not bully you into doing what I want you to do.” My husband was beyond amazing as my coach! He held me as I cried and prayed over me. My doula encouraged me by saying that I could still have a natural birth, but  I might want to think about getting some help with my dilation. 

I considered the balloon option, but I knew that introducing a foreign object into my cervix would only increase the risk of infection. It was at this point that I had my lowest moment during my labor. I needed to get my son out! I began thinking about pitocin. I never thought that I would have ever considered pitocin, but I was. Michael and I spent a few minutes talking and praying. I knew that women who have pitocin are more likely to end up with a c-section and pitocin disrupts a woman’s natural hormone process during labor and delivery. 

We all decided to do a low dose of pitocin for a little while. The contractions began to come stronger and more consistent. During each one I was so thankful because I knew that with each wave my baby was closer to being safe in my arms. 

Around 12am on the 19th I could tell that my baby was coming down. I was taken off pitocin and got into the tub. My contractions really picked up in deepness (deepness is the best way I can think of to describe it). Michael and my doula put counter pressure on my back with each wave. Michael encouraged me and reminded me that I was made to do this and that I could do it. I asked the Lord to protect my son from infection and to give me a mighty strength to bring my son into the world. 

During each contraction throughout my labor I found it beneficial to hum, it might sound crazy, but it was the only way I could embrace and ride the waves instead of fighting them. My hums were higher pitch. As I was getting ready to push My midwife said I should do a lower pitch so that I could go deeper with the contractions. She was right! Humming out a lower pitch helped a lot!

I began to feel a lot of pressure and  decided to try pushing a little. Looking back, I’m amazed at how I knew exactly what to do. My instincts took over and I knew that I could start pushing. I would feel the contractions, get my low hum and push. I could feel my baby moving down! I was so exhausted and even dosed off in between contractions. The Lord sustained me and gave me the drive that I needed to keep going. 

I felt horrible burning and my midwife said that the baby was crowning. I thought that I had just gotten his head out, and she said that he was just crowning. Before this moment I had been pushing with a strength that I knew I could sustain for a while. I knew pushing this way would give me a chance of not tearing. I decided that I didn't care about tearing anymore. I chose to push as hard as I could with each contraction..

With the next few pushes I felt the tear and heard my husband say, “He’s coming!” I yelled to my midwife that I was tearing and she told me it was ok. I heard my husband and doula say that I could do it. Michael was in the tub with me and on the last push he held me and was cheering me on. The midwife said get your baby. I grabbed my baby and placed him on my chest while Michael held both of us. Gideon’s eyes were wide open just looking up at us. It was an amazing moment that I will never forget. Michael told me that he loved me and was so proud of me.

We let Gideon’s cord stop pulsing while I sort of tried to nurse. It was amazing sitting in the water with my family. Michael and I couldn’t say, “I love you” enough to express how we were feeling. We both praised the Lord for giving us our son. 

When the cord stopped pulsing, Michael cut it and Gideon was examined in our room and then handed to Michael. 

My midwives and doula helped me out of the tub and on to the bed to check out the damage. I asked my doula to hold my hand and talk to me while I was getting fixed up. It was not a pleasant experience, I joked and asked for an epidural while I was getting stitched up. 

When everyone else was gone, Michael and I were left with our beautiful son. Our lives had been changed forever for the better. 


  • Labor was 26 hours and completely worth it! 
  • I have been asked by many people if it hurt to deliver naturally... Yes, it did hurt, but I will do it again.
  • I did a lot of research about labor and delivery while pregnant and based on the research that I found we decided to go with a midwife and to have a natural water birth. Pitocin was NOT part of the plan, but I'm glad that I did a low dose for a short amount of time. If there hadn't been such a high risk of infection I would not have done pitocin. 
Gideon Michael Wang
Born: June 19th 4:41am
Weight: 8.3lbs
Length: 20 inches

A few special moments that Michael remembers: 
-Ashley was so sweet even in the midst of contractions. She always used her manners saying please and thank you.
-Ashley would think that she was harsh with me, and as soon as a contraction was over, she would apologize to me for snapping. She never snapped at me. 
-When Gideon was born, I was overwhelmed with joy and was so proud of Ashley for the way she handled labor. Ashley was truly a champ and I still do not know how she was able to go through 26 hours of labor. She is the strongest person that I know.
-Labor is truly a miracle designed by God for the glory of his kingdom.































1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I'm in tears of joy as I read this. What a courageous birth story. I am so thankful that God sent you midwives who supported you. Micheal, great job! These moments truly help prepare you to parent as a team trusting the instinct of the Holy Spirit. By the way, Gideon is beautiful and has so much hair :) Praise our amazing Creator God!

    ReplyDelete